Call for submissions:
Emotive Fruition, an organization that brings poets, actors, and audiences together for live poetry, is teaming up with Noor Theatre, a theatre company dedicated to supporting, developing and presenting the work of theatre artists of Middle Eastern descent.
For this themed performance, we are looking for published or unpublished poems by Middle Eastern and/or Muslim poets that explore notions and experiences of Islamophobia, exile, home, and what it means to feel insecure in an era of homeland security. We look for poems that are written in the first person and can function as a story, a confession, a revelation, an elegy, a reckoning, etc. We are interested in how a poem on the page can come to life on stage, with the voice of the poet coming through the voice of the actor.
After poems are selected and poets notified, we will hold a rehearsal in Manhattan with both poets and actors on May 17, 2017 at 7 PM. Because of the nature of the collaboration, you must be a poet living in the NYC area and able to travel to rehearsal on May 17th and the performance on May 24th. Please follow the guidelines below. We look forward to reading your work!
* Poets must be available to attend the rehearsal on May 17th and the performance on May 24th, 2017.
* Send a Microsoft Word document of up to 10 poems (no PDF, please) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Please title your attachment and the subject line of your email with your full name and “May 2017”
* Provide your name and email address on each page of your attachment.
* Please include a brief bio in the body of your email.
* Submission deadline: March 20, 2017